Thursday, February 25, 2010

Surfing!!!

I have always wanted to try surfing. I thought I would love it since I love outdoor activities like snowboarding. I was right! I absolutely love surfing! Last weekend I went surfing with my CIEE group. We went to Trigg beach, which is about 40 minutes from my school. We had two surfing instructors who taught all of us beginners. Here is a picture of the group learning the surfing technique.



The swell that day was about 3 meters, which is rough conditions for learning. I thought the hardest part about surfing was paddling out against the waves. It was absolutely exhausting trying to get out past where the waves break. But I managed to toughen up and do it! Here I am after my first attempt at surfing.



Once I was out sitting on my board, I patiently waited for a good wave to catch. For the first couple times, I basically rode on my stomach the whole way in. I was having tons of fun just doing that but of course I wanted to stand up. People aren't lying when they say standing up is really difficult. Unfortunately, I didn't ever stand the whole way up. I was hoping I was going to be professional at it the first time. The furthest I got was crouching down on my board. You know the leap frog position? Just picture me doing that on a surf board. There is no doubt in my mind that I want to go surfing again. It was such a rush and I didn't even stand up! I can only imagine how amazing it will be when I can actually do it.



Unfortunately, my next surfing lesson won't be free but it sure is worth the money! My next excursion is the Fremantle Torchlight Prison Tour. I don't really believe in spirits or ghosts but who knows, it seems like anything can happen in Australia.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh! What fun! Don't tell your mom! Sounds like you did great the first time out! Can't wait for the Fremantle Tour report...Fremantle...is that the name of the place or does it refer to the Freemasons? You are lucky Uncle John doesn't just jump on a plane and join you right now! You know how he is. By the way...will you be telling us about some of your classes?

    Love, Fayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surfing!!! Sounds like you had great fun and now you are hooked!! What great opportunities to try new things. Love, Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now you are a surfer dude?? That's great! I think we need some video or our imaginations will run wild! A prison tour sounds interesting. Ever read GREAT EXPECTATIONS - some Australian prison references! Sorry, I can't help myself!

    Looking forward to your next adventure.
    Love, Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete