Now onto the more interesting stuff. I went on a tour of the Fremantle Prison at nighttime of course. Doesn't it look pretty from the outside?
The tour guide took us through what she claimed to be the most haunted parts of the prison. She is one of those people who are obsessed with spirits and ghosts. She is so obsessed/crazy that she often sleeps in the prison at night. You couldn't pay me to do that. She told us all of her ghost stories and to tell you the truth, I was beginning to get a little freaked out. She claims there is still a little boy that is present in the juvenile cell block of the prison. She told us one time, she felt the boy grab onto her leg like children do to their parents. I wasn't sure if I was believing all of this. But I kid you not, while I was just standing there still listening to her, it felt like someone flicked my earring. My earring was then moving back and forth. I looked around and no one was near me that would have done that. Crazy right? I still get chills when I think about it. I would like to think it wasn't a ghost but I guess I'll never know. Here is the spot where it all happened:
One of Fremantle Prison's claim to fame is that the lead singer of AC/DC, Bon Scott, spent time behind bars here. He spent time in jail because he was having sexual relations with a 15 year old girl when he was 19 years old. Sorry I wasn't able to take a picture of his cell!
I was most surprised how recently the prison has shut down. It closed in 1991 and reopened as a historic site/museum . The prison consisted of four divisions. The first division was for short sentences and juveniles as young as 13 years old. The second division was for serious crimes without violence and the third was for violent offenders. The fourth was for murderers and long-term men. There was a gallow room in the prison, which was the only legal place of execution in Western Australia between 1888 and 1965. In this room using this rope, 43 men and one woman were hanged.
The next day, I went on a wine tour in the Swan River Valley region. It was actually more than just a wine tour. We went to 4 wineries, 2 brewers, and one chocolate factory. Basically all the main essentials in life. We left around 10am and got the the first winery around 11am and the drinking began. The first winery was Sandalford. I really enjoyed their 2009 Classic White wine, it was actually my favorite wine on the trip.
Unfortunately, the people who worked at the wineries basically just poured us glasses and told us the name of the wine. I would have like to learn more about the wine but they probably just figured we were college students and not interested. We spent about 30 minutes at each stop and tried about 5 different wines including white, red, and dessert wine. The next winery was Lancaster. The wine at this winery isn't sold in stores in Australia (and I'm guessing they don't sell it any where else in the world?) So in order to drink this wine, you have to order it special or buy it right at the winery.
The next winery was Edgecombe Brothers. After thoroughly enjoying their wine and cheese, we went to the last winery. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of the last winery, I apologize! I was all wined out after the first three wineries and I was just ready for some beer and chocolate. Ahhh the chocolate was soooo good. Is it sad that the chocolate factory was my favorite part of the trip? I mean look at all this chocolate, how good does it look?
My mouth waters just looking at those pictures. After getting my chocolate fix, we moved onto the brewers. The name of the first brewer was Mash Brewers. We were able to sample 5 different types of beer here. The cider beer was my favorite. It is a mixture of beer and fresh apple cider...delicious!!
I am not sure about the name of the last brewer, sorry! But I think you get the idea of how great my day was. We got back to campus around 5pm so it was a fun day filled with friends, wine, beer, and chocolate. Another amazing day in Australia!
Tomorrow morning I am leaving for the outback and I will be gone for 10 days! We are traveling over 2,000 miles in ten days! I am going with about 40 exchange students and it is going to be a once in a life time experience. We will be camping, without running water, electricity, and internet for ten days. Not being able to shower for that long scares me but I am still so excited! Have a good couple weeks and I will be sure to tell you about my travels when I get back!!!
Great, great blog. Uncle John is so happy you are having such a balanced diet, which includes ghosts as companions. Thanks for the mention of your classes. I'm sure your trek will be fantastic. Go Laura!!!
ReplyDeleteLove, Fayne
Wineries are great places to visit! Add chocolates and as you so rightly said, a balanced diet! Good to hear your classes are going well. As for camping, now you are in the Garth/Ed territory of the family. Gretchen and I think the Holiday Inn is roughing it.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear about your adventures.
Love,
Aunt Beth
Hey Laura -
ReplyDeleteMash Brewers? Must be my australian side of my family.
I had an uncle who worked in a brewery He died in an accident in the brewery. He fell into a vat of beer and he had to fight off five guys who tried to save him.
Enjoy the outback and back back a dingo we can have as a pet.
Uncle Ed Mash(mann)
Hi, Uncle Ray is so jealous! He loves wine tours and his wine!!! We had cider type beer in London - it was definately different. Hope you had a great trip! Camping never was my thing - I like running water, clean beds, and shower! Looking forward to hearing about the outback! Love, Aunt Barbara - happy St. Patricks Day
ReplyDelete