Friday, March 26, 2010

The Fremantle Markets




Every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are the Fremantle Market days. The Fremantle Market began in 1897 so it has been around for an extremely long time. Locals do their weekly fresh produce shopping here but it is also a tourist attraction. The markets add to the already buzzing atmosphere of Freo. Just outside of the market, there is usually some type of street show going on. This of course attracts tourists like me.



After watching the guy in the pirate outfit swallow swords on fire, you can go do your fresh produce shopping! Not only is the produce fresh here, but it is also way cheaper than getting it in the grocery store. It's a win-win situation! You can get apples for 20 cents, onions for 50 cents, and heads of lettuce for a dollar.




It's a very loud and energetic environment. All of the stands are competing with each other so sometimes I feel pressured into buying their produce. The people at the stands yell out their prices and slogans to make you buy their produce. When I first went, it was overwhelming but now I love to go!





Who ever knew buying veges and fruits could be so fun?!

3 comments:

  1. I love going to the markets abroad. You shop for real food from real people. Looks like the guy in the last pic is sitting down for a snack. That's always fun, too...the lunch bars in these markets. I feel like I'm right along with you on your adventures!

    Love, Fayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shopping ... Fun....who'd have thought! I think Price Chopper and Hannaford could use some sword swallowers! It seems like everything in Australia is a great experience. I love hearing about each and every adventure. You do a great job with the photos and commentary! It is freezing here - could you send some Aussie sunshine our way - oh wait, you do with every blog!
    Love, Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do you actually cook with the food you purchase?? :) Keep the posts coming. I absolutely love reading them. MISS YOU.

    Love,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete