I recently went to Caversham Wildlife Park with everyone in my CIEE group and all of the other international students. It is still weird to think that I'm an international student. Anyways, I've been dying to see kangaroos and koalas since I've been here! It just so happened that Murdoch University organized a trip to the park for all of the international students. Therefore, it was free. Since I'm a college student on a tight budget, of course I couldn't turn this great opportunity down.
It was a beautiful sunny day, like every day here, to go to the park. We had a tour guide who introduced us to Australia's animals. First, I met the koalas. They are just so adorable. I don't think we have animals this cute in America.
Yup that is me touching a koala. You might think it couldn't get better than that right? Well next, I got to meet the wombat. This wombat was huge but it seemed harmless. I mean look at this guy holding it like a small child.

Have you ever heard of a dingo? It is basically a dog that lives in the wilderness. The dingo is the biggest terrestrial predator in Australia. It is at the top of the food chain. I touched the koalas, I touched the wombat, but I was not allowed to get close to a dingo. But I was fine having a fence between me and this wild dog.
Next I got to see the largest bird native to Australia, the emu. This bird can grow to be 6.5 feet tall! It can also sprint up to 31 miles per hour. It was being fed when I took this picture so I was able to catch it while it wasn't running around.
So when you think of Australia, you obviously think of the kangaroo. And when you think of a kangaroo, you think of it hopping around and full of energy right? Well kangaroos are actually nocturnal and I was at the park in the afternoon, which is basically their midnight.
This kangaroo was sound asleep so I didn't want to bother it. But some of the others were awake and I was able to feed them and get very very close! I was so excited to feed them! How many people can say they fed a kangaroo?
Maybe I'll get lucky enough and see a kangaroo outside of a wildlife park. My next free excursion is learning how to surf!! I'm so excited to hit the waves!
Cheers from down under!
Laura...I'm so jealous. It looks like so much fun, and so interesting! Great pictures! What's your dorm like?
ReplyDeleteLove, Fayne
A kangaroo is nocturnal kind of like a college student I know studying abroad in Australia....
ReplyDelete-Christina
Great pictures. You look like you has a blast!!
ReplyDeleteHi, Uncle Ray is so jealous of all the animals that you are seeing!!! I, too, would like a fence between me and a dingo! Have fun - sounds like you already are!! Love, Aunt Barbara
ReplyDeleteAunt Fayne- I will do a blog about my flat soon!
ReplyDeleteCC- You're hilarious :)
Aunt Barbara- If Uncle Ray is jealous of the animals, just wait until I go on the wine tasting tour in Swan Valley! And yes, I am having so much fun!
_Laura
HI, Forget Uncle Ray, I am so jealous! I'm pretty sure your father had Dingo boots back in the day. That is the first recollection I have of the dingo. I can't wait to hear about the surfing. It is warming me up to look at all of your sunny pictures! Love, Aunt Beth
ReplyDelete