Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fun in the Sun

Cheers!

I first want to say thanks to everyone leaving comments. I love hearing from you all. I hope you're enjoying my stories so far. Well now where do I begin, Australians, accents, sun, Indian Ocean, new people. I feel like I've gone so many places, done so many things, and met so many people since I last talked to you. I'll tell you about my living situation first. So far I only have one roommate and her name is Amelia. She is from Adelaide, Australia and she is 28 years old. At first she seemed shy but she is very nice and we bonded by talking about chemistry because she is a pharmacy major. So we are both kind of nerdy, which I like :) Today is move in day so I hope the other 4 rooms fill up! I can't wait to meet them.

One of the very first things on my and my friend's to do list was to get cell phones. So we journeyed to a mall that is about a 25 minute bus ride away from campus. While we were at the mall, we saw a mass of people crowding around a table. We couldn't see who was sitting at the table so we asked the security guards who these famous people were. The guards said they were the trainers on the Biggest Loser! Jillian and Bob?!?!?! I was SO excited because I love that show! Therefore, we fought through the crowd to get closer. To our surprise, they were not Jillian and Bob but rather the Australian trainers. We were a little upset so we continued on to get our cell phones. Actually when I think about it, I only went 3 days without a cell phone. That is pretty sad haha.

I don't know if you know this but Perth, Australia has the second most shark attacks in the entire world. But that did not stop me from going to the beach (and swimming in in the ocean, Aunt Fayne!) and experiencing the breath taking sight of the Indian Ocean. See for yourself:



This beach is called Cottesloe beach, which is supposedly the nicest beach in the area. I mean to me, any beach in Australia exceeds any of my expectations. After soaking up the sun, we ventured into Fremantle. It is called Freo by the locals. Australians seem to shorten their words, like barbie for barbecue. Anyways, Freo is cool, hip, and the place to be. It has shops, restaurants, coffee places, bars, basically everything you need. Here is a picture of Freo:







Well that was a lot of information. I hope everyone is doing well back in the US. Until I talk to you next, the picture under Freo Street is a little something for you to think about. I'm actually not even sure what it is supposed to mean...

6 comments:

  1. Since we will be in New Zealand soon, any cell phone tips would be appreciated. Also..is your laptop working? The beach and the town look great! You didn't say if you actually went in the water. I guess if you feed the seagulls, they will sit on You, yah?

    Love, Fayne & John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Fayne,

    My cell phone plan is prepaid per month, which is best for me since I will be here for only 5 months. My plan is called Crazy John's (ironic) but I'm not sure if they have that in New Zealand. And yes, my laptop is working great!

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Glad to read all about your trip. Sounds like you are getting settled in. The beach looks beautiful. Be safe and have a great time!! Love, Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to hear that Australia has a version of the Biggest Loser! And, the rest of your trip sounds pretty cool too. I am glad you took care of that cell phone issue... now onto the real reason you are there... the beach! Enjoy!
    Love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,

    The adventure continues! I'm pretty sure I understand the sign. It's what the crows in Albany do to Gretchen's car when she parks under the tree. Those beaches are gorgeous - enjoy them!
    Love,
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures. I'm pretty sure Aunt Beth has the spirit if not the meaning of S.O.Y. It sounds like every day is an adventure. Enjoy every moment.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete