Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Aquarium of Western Australia

I recently went to the Aquarium of Western Australia (AQWA) with my CIEE study abroad group and director. AQWA has exhibits of sea animals and plants from all along the coast of Western Australia. The underwater journey began at the great southern coast which included intriguing creatures such as the Pineapplefish and Leafy Seadragons.



I know you are all probably confused right now. But these beautiful creatures that you will soon see do not reside in the Hudson River in the Albany you are thinking of. This Albany is located along the southern coast of Western Australia...a little different! :)

The next exhibit was shipwreck coast and it was by far my favorite. This exhibit included traveling beneath hundreds of tons of Indian Ocean waters and being surrounded by creatures such as skarks, stingrays, loggerhead turtles and hundreds of stunning fish. This exhibit is Australia's largest walk through aquarium! Don't you feel like you're swimming with the turtle? I actually have before in Cairns!



This picture has three amazing marine animals in it, a stingray, a shark, and a turtle!



Notice how big the turtle is. My friend Marie is in the lower corner of the picture.



A shark!!!



After being up close and personal with sharks, stingrays, and turtles, we moved onto the one and only Perth coast! This is the coast that I am living on and it was not as amazing as the other coasts. Our claim to fame is Jellyfish, which definitely are not my favorite creatures.



The last exhibit was the far north coast, which is one of the worlds most remote regions. It is home to marine animals such as Baby Saltwater Crocodiles, colorful fish, and stunning live corals. I really liked this fish, and I think it liked me too.




It was definitely a fun day spent at the aquarium!

(Happy Mother's Day Mom!!! Love you!)

5 comments:

  1. Laura,

    What??? Albany? Mother's Day? Where are the tulips??? The aquarium pictures are beautiful. I like aquariums because I could never see the things they show us! Thanks for sharing.
    Love, Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great and fun blog. I really do think that fish liked you.

    I had a great Mother's Day. But, only one thing was missing....YOU!!

    Can't wait to see you.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love aquariums!! I cannot believe the size of that turtle, truly amazing! -Love, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. I LOVE the picture of you and the fish kissing. It's getting tough to keep up with thee blogs.

    What's your schedule from here on out? When are you supposed to leave Australia? Any stops on the way home? The time has gone so quickly!

    Love, Fayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI, I am sure there are very scary creatures in the Hudson - pcb's etc. Truly loved the pictres - you are having an amazing adventure!! Love, Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete