Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Rugby Match and ANZAC Day

On Friday the 23rd I went to a professional rugby game in Perth. I went with some of my Australian friends and some American friends too. Our Western Force took on the Crusaders of New Zealand in front of a sell out crowd. The crowd was extremely into the game, to say the least. There is always tension between Aussies and Kiwis and it was the last home game for the Force! Also, the Crusaders are the number one team in the league. So all of these factors made for a really exciting game!



I have seen rugby on tv before but I have never been to a game. My favorite part is when they lift the littlest guy up in the air to catch the ball. Other than that, the game seems to be a lot of dog piles and relaying the ball backwards.



The Force was definitely the underdog in this match. They had never beaten the mighty New Zealanders. I love rooting for the underdogs especially on their home grounds! The Force were behind for most of the game but they pulled off an incredible comeback to beat the Crusaders 24-16! Sporting events in Australia are extremely fun and cheap. I feel part of the culture while drinking a beer and rooting for the home team!



Sunday the 25th was ANZAC day, which stands for Australian New Zealand Army Corps. ANZAC day can be compared to our Memorial day. It is the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. The ANZACs landed on Gallipoli, Turkey on 25 April 1914 with intent to capture the Gallipoli peninsula. The Australians fought a brutal trench warfare against the Turkish, who were allied with Germany. Sadly after 8 long months of fighting, Australia lost the fight and suffered over 8,000 casualties. Now April 25th is a day to remember those who sacrificed their lives for Australia. There was a parade in Freo to honor the ANZACs. Unfortunately, I got to Freo too late and missed the parade. But I did get a picture of some men in suits walking the streets!



I have 3.5 weeks of classes left now and my finals end on June 2nd. I am sad my time here is halfway over but I still have a little over one month left! Time sure is flying by!

ps. Happy birthday Dad!!

7 comments:

  1. Seems like you are a good luck charm at these Australian sporting events, cheering for the underdog and drinking a beer. Keep it up, I mean cheering for the underdog. I can't believe this time is going so fast.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly making the most of your time and I'm sure you'll pack everything possible into the rest of your time there! Have you seen "Invictus"? that is a good rugby movie!
    Love,
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Uncle Ray played rugby in law school and for 5 years after - I always thought it looked like grown men playing keep away - there didn't seem to be a lot of rules!! Kate played briefly in college until she sprained her ankle and had to have a bone chip removed. Can't believe how fast the time has gone - we will be glad to have you back home - even though I think you will be returning to Australia. Love, Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Laura. We are now in New Zealand, Christchurch to be exact. John has some training to do, then we are on to Timaru. We bought a book on rugby, written by a Greek, so there's probably rugby in my future. Probably beer also. Love your blog!
    Love, Fayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments on my blog. I appreciate it. I had a chance to enhance my last post with some photos- check it out. Did you have any ANZAC biscuits?
    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunt Beth- I have never seen the movie "Invictus" but I will have to check it out. Also, have you ever seen the movie "Gallipoli"? It is about ANZAC day and it is Mel Gibson's first movie ever. It was made in 1981 and it's pretty good!

    Uncle John- I did have ANZAC biscuits! Glad we could celebrate the holiday together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura,

    I just queued up "Gallipoli" on netflix. Garth is giving us a Wii for Mothers/fathers day and we will be able to stream videos on it. So, we'll probably watch it soon.

    Someone left a box with plates and bowls on our front lawn. Weird, right? Anyway, if you want them for your apartment they are yours!

    Love you,
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete