Monday, April 19, 2010

Red Bull Air Race World Championship

Over the weekend, I attended the Red Bull Air Race World Championship, which was in Perth over the Swan River. I've seen car racing, horse racing, bike racing, but never in my life have I seen planes racing. This is a high-speed, low-altitude aerial motorsport event that attracted thousands of people along the shore of the Swan River. The best pilots from around the world competed against each other in this race based on speed, precision and skill. There were two Americans and one Australian in the race!



They zipped through a course above the water and had to go through, over, and around big air filled pylons. These planes are the fastest, most agile and lightweight racing planes in the world. They reached speeds of 370km per hour. They were so hard to take pictures of but I managed to catch a couple good shots!



Perth is the city in the picture above. Also, the planes went really high in the air when they had to do sharp turns in order to pick up more speed. The planes would dive straight down, almost hitting the water!



Hannes Arch of Austria won the Red Bull Air Race with Matt Hall of Australia getting a career-best second place in front of an enormous crowd of 140,000 people. Go Australia!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. HI Laura, That sounds wild. I wouldn't mind watching but I certainly wouldn't want to be in the plane! We're headed for Richmond and DC - I think we'll mainly see statues, not exactly the rush you're getting! Stay well. Love you, Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't want to be in any of those planes. Sounds exciting to watch. Keep the blogs coming!!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could see this on the Hudson River. The planes could weave in and out of some of the I-787 ramps instead of pylons. Oops, I almost forgot this is Albany ... no chance of anything happening here...
    _fdh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Race Day Highlights - Perth Australia

    http://www.redbullairrace.com/cs/Satellite/en_air/Video/Race-Day,-Perth-Highlights-021242834297008?p=1238611393596

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Is there anything you haven't seen!!! I wonder if they serve drinks and peanuts. My plane flight was exciting enough!! Continue to have a great time and savor all the experineces!! Love, Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're in French Polynesia! New Zealand tomorrow. Thanks for the help with John's blog!
    Love, Fayne

    ReplyDelete