Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Kings Park

Today I went to Kings Park, which is a couple minutes outside of Perth. This beautiful park was established at the end of the 19th century and contains 1,000 acres of grassed parkland, botanical gardens, and natural bushland. It is located on Mount Eliza, which overlooks the city of Perth. It was definitely a beautiful day for a stroll in the park. Here is the entrance to Kings Park. It kind of reminds me of the Avenue of the Pines at SPAC.



Kings Park is the most popular visitor destination in Western Australia. I definitely know why now. It is absolutely beautiful. It has breath taking panoramic views of the Swan River, Darling Range, and the city of Perth.




Kings Park is also contains the State War Memorial. There was a enormous service here on the morning of ANZAC day to honor all the soldiers. This memorial is dedicated to the Western Australians who died the the two world wars. The State War Memorial comprises the Cenotaph, Court of Contemplation, Flame of Remembrance, and Pool of reflection. Can you find each one in the picture below?



Next, my friends and I ventured on through the park. We stumbled upon stunning pools and waterfalls. This part of the park contained the Pioneer Women's Memorial, which is a monument to the women who helped build the Swan River Colony. So obviously, it had to be beautiful.






We moved on through the park and found this awesome bridge that was about the same height as the trees.



I was so glad I finally made it to Kings Park. I've been wanting to go there since I arrived in Australia. I just decided to look at my Eyewitness Travel Australia Book and it's amazing how many things I've done and places I've been to that are listed in the book. I only have one month left here, I fly out June 12th. There are still many things in the book that I want to do!! I can't believe I only have one month left...it's definitely a bittersweet feeling.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful park, beautiful views and vistas. I know you have been talking about going there for a long time. Speaking about time, it has flown by. This has been the time of your life.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the updates. We understand you might be able to stop by Christchurch on your way home. That would be great! Let us know.
    John and Fayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that is simply beautiful. I think Australia should hire you to promote their beautiful country. I never really thought about going there but after all these wonderful blogs you really have me thinking... Looking forward to seeing you in person and hearing more stories.

    Love,
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I know it is a big country but you seemed to have just about covered it all!! The pictures are beautiful - it must be spectacular in person. Can't believe you will soon be home. Make the most of your time - I don't have to tell you that - you already have!! Love, Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete